If you are sat there looking at a CV version that is out of date and in urgent need of updating and you don’t know where to start then this guide to updating your CV – Quick Wins is for you.
Sometimes you just don’t have time for updating your CV and just add on your most recent roles but this is missing a trick. So I have devised a short list of hints that can help you to make an impact when updating your CV by only making a few changes.
- Focus your efforts on the start of the document. This is what hooks a reader in so make sure you review the personal statement. Is it short and punchy? Two sentences is my recommendation
- Reformat – ensure the whole document is in a uniform font and reduce margins to maximise space
- Add a personal header to the document at the very start. What is your profession? Tell the recruiter quickly and make it bold so at a glance you stand out
- Add in keywords up front. Include short key words under Areas of Expertise section.
- Move the key achievements- if you have achievements listed under each role I recommend moving them to the start of the CV in one section so that you quickly show a recruiter you are worth interviewing
- Unless you have no work experience remove those hobbies and interests; they are a waste of space